Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Walking by Faith

I woke up this morning like most of the rest of the nation. In disbelief of what happened in Boston yesterday. How can this senseless violence continue to happen in our world? As the old saying goes, why can't we all just learn to get along?

On the way home from taking Sara Ashley to school in Fairburn I heard a song that, once again, brought me to tears. Y'all already know I have a propensity for that and I shouldn't have been surprised at my reaction, but I was. I had been holding it together quite well since I learned of yesterday's bombings. And as I watched the news this morning I maintained my detachment, trying to ward off any emotional attachment to a situation that is truly heartbreaking. Unfortunately, I find that I sometimes become calloused to this world and desensitized to the tragedy it holds. I know it's a defense mechanism and I also know that it's not one that God desires for me. After all, wasn't I the one who just a few weeks ago quoted God's message for me to allow Him to, "Break my heart for what breaks Yours?"

The song I heard finally opened my heart and the flood gates, allowing grief and anger. Gratefully it also allowed comfort. As I listened to it I was reminded of the words of a recent contributor for the book "Unexpected Gifts." When describing her daughter's condition of autism she stated that she found it a "great comfort and gift to know that He can already see the finish line" for her child. The irony of her verbiage was not lost on me and the song I heard this morning was a reminder of this important point.
From Casting Crowns, "Already There":

From where I'm standing
Lord it's so hard for me to see
Where this is going
And where You're leading me
I wish I knew how
All my fears and all my questions
Are gonna play out
In a world I can't control

When I'm lost in the mystery
To You my future is a memory
Cause You're already there
You're already there
Standing at the end of my life
Waiting on the other side
And You're already there
You're already there

From where You're standing
Lord, You see a grand design
That You imagined
When You breathed me into life
And all the chaos
Comes together in Your hands
Like a masterpiece
Of Your picture perfect plan

When I'm lost in the mystery
To You my future is a memory
Cause You're already there
You're already there
Standing at the end of my life
Waiting on the other side
And You're already there
You're already there

One day I'll stand before You
And look back on the life I've lived
I can't wait to enjoy the view
And see how all the pieces fit

One day I'll stand before You
And look back on the life I've lived
Cause You're already there
You're already there
When I'm lost in the mystery
To You my future is a memory
Cause You're already there
You're already there
Standing at the end of my life
Waiting on the other side
And You're already there
You're already there

You are already there
 


So where was God at yesterday's finish line? How can something so tragic happen in His grand plan? Although I don't know the answer to this question, I do know with certainty that this tragedy was not from Him but from the antithesis of His love, and I can most assuredly say that God was at that finish line. He could be seen in the first responders, the policemen, firemen, and military presence that were on hand for the event. The many marathon volunteers and even everyday citizens who came out to support the runners on this Patriot's Day in Boston. He was heard in the voices of the news media who reported the event, sharing their grief for the tragedy and in the posts from friends on FB and other social media sites as they shared their outrage over this evil crime. He was there showing that His loving presence overpowers an evil that can only come from the enemy and that He is our strength in times of trouble. Over the last 17 hours I have heard many talk about finding and seeing the helpers in this tragedy. He was the face of these helpers, their strength found through His Helper that he sent to empower us as Jesus rose to be with Him in heaven. His is their loving and helping hand that desires to save humanity from itself. And thankfully the number of helpers far outweigh the enemy.

So I will choose to walk by faith, even when I cannot see or understand or make sense of this senseless world. I will walk by faith and accept His comfort and love knowing that our struggles will eventually end in a victory called Christian HOPE. A life of eternal praise and worship for a God that sustains us through our trials, and who is a living presence in our lives, comforting us in our grief, leading and inspiring us to help our fellow man in Christian love.

I will walk by faith, and not fear, knowing that God is with us every step of the way.

My prayers are with every person affected by this senseless tragedy and for our nation as we continue to face evil in this world. May each one of us feel God's love, healing and strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment